Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Old people's music

I don't think I'm old, but my music collection says otherwise.

With a few exceptions, most of the music in my collection is 10 years old or older. (The major exceptions are Alison Krauss, Josh Rouse -- basically, anyone whose name rhymes with "mouse.")

For years, I've given my parents grief for listening to nothing but music from the 1950s, but my tastes are stuck in the early '90s. I was doing dishes last night, and I took the 7-year-old's soundtrack to "High School Musical" out of the CD player in the kitchen and popped in Paul Simon's "Graceland." I hadn't played it in years. I think it holds up really well. I think it sounds really fresh and relevant, but then I looked at the back of the CD case, and it turns out that thing came out in 1986. That's 21 years ago. If that CD were a person, it would be old enough to drink.

It dawned on me a while back that the only place I hear new music these days is TV commercials. That's how I discovered Moby, but then I realized that "Play" came out eight freakin' years ago. A kid who was a high school freshman the year that CD came out would be out of college by now.

I feel old.

4 comments:

Sarah Meitner said...

You ARE old! Aren't you 40? :-)

Teasing.

I'm enjoying your blog. It's like having lunch with you all over again.

sm

Big Daddy said...

Hey, a comment!

Sarah Meitner said...

Are you ever going to post again? It's been almost a year!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.